Canon respects individuals’ privacy. Canon is bound by, and complies with, the Information Privacy Principles (“IPPs”) prescribed under the Privacy Act 1993 (NZ). (Further information regarding the IPPs can be found at the Privacy Commissioner’s website at www.privacy.org.nz).
Collection of personal information
- In accordance with IPP1, Canon will not collect personal information unless the collection is for a lawful purpose connected with one of our functions or activities, and it is necessary to collect the information for that purpose.
- In accordance with IPP2, Canon will only collect personal information directly from the individual concerned, unless one of the exceptions to IPP2 applies.
- In accordance with IPP3, before (or if that is not practical, as soon as possible after) collecting personal information from an individual, Canon will take reasonable steps (via this Policy and otherwise) to ensure the individual is aware of the required matters, unless one of the exceptions to IPP3 applies.
- In accordance with IPP4, Canon will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
Storage and security
In accordance with IPP5, Canon will ensure:
- that there are reasonable safeguards against loss, misuse or disclosure of personal information held by it; and
- that if it is necessary to give personal information to another person, such as a service provider, everything reasonable will be done to prevent unauthorised use or disclosure of the information.
Access and correction
- In accordance with IPP6, if Canon holds any readily-retrievable personal information about an individual, then subject to the IPP6 exceptions, Canon will comply with any request from that individual for:
- confirmation that Canon holds that information; and/or
- access to the information.
- In accordance with IPP7, if an individual requests correction of personal information held by Canon, Canon will either make that correction or attach a statement of the requested correction to the information. Canon will inform the individual, and any entity to which Canon had disclosed the information prior to the correction request, of the steps taken by it in response to the correction request.
- Canon will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that, having regard to the purposes for which personal information held by it may be used, that information is accurate, up to date, complete and not misleading.
- In accordance with IPP8, Canon will not use personal information held by it without taking such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which the information is proposed to be used, the information is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
- In accordance with IPP9, Canon will not keep personal information for longer than is required for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used.
- In accordance with IPP10, where Canon has collected personal information in connection with one purpose we will not use it for any other purpose unless we believe, on reasonable grounds:
- that the source of the information is a publicly available publication; or
- that the use of the information for that other purpose is authorised by the individual concerned; or
- that one of the other IPP10 exceptions applies.
- The purposes for which Canon typically collects personal information include:
- to administer and improve the performance of Canon-owned websites;
- to deliver goods and services;
- to address and respond to concerns or other correspondence from customers; and
- to deliver benefits and services to MyCanon members
- In accordance with IPP11, Canon will not disclose personal information held by it to third parties unless we hold, on reasonable grounds, one or more of the required beliefs, including:
- that the disclosure is in connection with, or directly related to, the purposes for which it was obtained; or
- that the source of the information is a a publicly available publication; or
- that the disclosure is authorised by the individual concerned.
- Organisations to which Canon typically may disclose personal information collected by it are companies within its corporate group, and service providers (such as credit card processors, providers of outsourced services, shipping agents, and advertising and marketing agencies), but only to the extent necessary to enable those other entities to assist Canon in fulfilling the purposes for which Canon collected the information. All such entities are required to keep such information confidential and restrict their use of it to the permitted purposes.
- Canon will never sell or rent personal information collected by it to third parties for marketing purposes.
Collection, use and disclosure – specific situations
Browsing Canon-owned websites:
- Canon may collect information about individuals’ visits to Canon-owned websites using automatic collection tools, such as “cookies”. We do this in order to monitor traffic patterns and serve individuals more efficiently if they revisit the sites. Such tools do not identify individuals personally, but they can provide information such as the individuals’ browser type and language, access times, Internet Protocol addresses and behaviour (e.g. pages visited, links clicked).
- Individuals need to become members of MyCanon if they wish to access a number of extra benefits and services from Canon-owned websites, including:
- the ability to enter and participate in Canon competitions and promotions online;
- the ability to register their Canon products for warranty purposes;
- the opportunity to subscribe to various communications, including newsletters and special offers;
- the opportunity to submit Ratings and Reviews; and
- the opportunity to contribute to online discussions.
- When joining MyCanon, individuals are asked to provide such personal information as is needed to enable Canon to supply the extra benefits or services desired by those individuals, as indicated by the options to which they subscribe (which will be presented to them in the course of the MyCanon registration process). Canon will only use or disclose that personal information for the purposes of supplying those benefits or services.
- Members of MyCanon can alter their preferences at any time, including by unsubscribing from any email or SMS communications. Canon complies with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007 (NZ) in relation to any such communications or other electronic messages
- In addition to the information individuals provide when joining MyCanon, Canon may also collect, and aggregate such information with:
- information which those individuals subsequently voluntarily contribute to us and/or Canon-owned websites;
- information obtained from the automatic collection tools referred to above.
Children (persons under the age of 18 years) are eligible to access and use the Site. However, if you are under the age of 15 we request that you obtain the consent of your parent/s or guardian/s before submitting any personal information to the Site.
Changes to this Policy
Canon reserves the right to change this Policy from time to time, in accordance with relevant circumstances. If we do so, we will post the revised Policy here. We may also give notice by other means, such as a message on our website.
How to contact us
Any complaints, problems or queries regarding Canon’s management of personal information should be directed to Canon’s Privacy Officer by sending an email to: email@example.com